Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics SL (Solomon) > SL - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HUGE transaction logs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUGE transaction logs
    Posted: February 20 2007 at 4:47pm

Hi All

I have a question regarding Transaction Logs on the SQL database.  When I run optimizations on my Solomon database, I get a huge transaction log.  Actually bigger than the backup file.  I have other databases that are about the same size, but I donít get a huge transaction log from them.  Any Ideas?

Thanks

Bill

William Hall Dillon
Sr. DBA
Sponsored Links

slguru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slguru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 1:13pm
Bill,

Depends what you mean when you say optimizations.  But I assume you mean the default items from a maintenance plan, most importantly rebuild indexes.  My guess is that you have the recovery model set to Full on these databases, and with Solomon having 5000 some odd indexes and probably alot more activity if you log the "optimization" it can make the transaction log very large. 

Some suggestions I would have is to make sure a full backup runs and completes prior to your "optimization".    Then I would make sure to do a shrinkdb afterwards.    If you are having space issues, you can also set the recovery model to Simple after your backup but prior to running your reindexes. and when complete set the database recovery model back to full.  

jhunter77082 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhunter77082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 1:16pm
You can also schedule a job that will shrink the database on a specific schedule.  I have a Stored Proc that you can schedule and run... It will read the recovery model you have set ... save it... set the recovery model to SIMPLE... shrink the database and then set the recovery model back to what it was before.  Let me know if you want the script.
BillD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 2:26pm
Hi
Thanks for your help and yes I'd like the script

Bill

William Hall Dillon
Sr. DBA
jhunter77082 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhunter77082 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 2:35pm
Send me your email and I will email it to you... I will not post it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic