Microsoft Dynamics Job Openings

Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics NAV & Microsoft Dynamics AX > Navision (NAV)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Navision Backup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanBrydon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navision Backup
    Posted: April 21 2007 at 7:28am
Hi,

Does anyone know of a more cost effective method of scheduling a navision backup besides keepitsafe http://www.keepitsafe.ie and Expandit(www.expandit.com). I have tried both keepitsafe seems to work the best but for the amount of licenses we need it works out at 50k per year!!

Regards

Dan Brydon
Sponsored Links

Jimmy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2007 at 1:14pm

What version are you running? I run a windows scheduled task every night using Hotcopy.exe. This comes with Navision and is located in the installation directory of your C:drive. It's simple and it's free!!!!

Jimmy
chris1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2007 at 2:10pm
hi, interested in your 'hotcopy' procedure. I read a little about it in the nav manual. Could you describe how you set this up. And is the backup as small as the backup made by the backup program from within navision? Only our database is currently 30gb and it won't fit on a tape unless its the compressed backup. Do you have to stop the navision service before starting the hotcopy?
Thanks
Chris
Proferp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proferp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2007 at 1:46am
There is a free tool available on mibuso named DW NavBackup, or here http://www.dynamicsway.com. It's still in beta version, but soon will be fixed. Take a look at it.
GeminiTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeminiTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 9:57am
My company Gemini Tech has just developed a product for backing up Navision cside db's. it also compresses the file and will ftp it to another location or machine. it is almost ready for release.  let me know if you are still looking
thanks
ivdorado View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivdorado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 9:44am
The only product known to guarantee a completely consistent, shrinked and compressed backup is the Backup Utility from Expandit.
Doing the backup from outside Navision (Hotcopy for example) doesn't care of any integrity in the database, it just does a copy of the .fdb file. The Backup Utility even look for damaged sectors in the part of the hard disk your .fdb file is in.
After a real disaster with an unrestorable Navision database you start being careful with the kind of things you don't consider when you only need a backup to be done Big%20smile But, what happens when it can't be restored?

Read this and you'll see what i mean.

Proferp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proferp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 1:11am
Why the only? NavBackup seems has more functionality and it's free of cost?!?
gaelDE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaelDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 7:48am
Hi,

with this tool HotCopy.exe, did anyone have problems before ?
i use it and it crash after 4 hours while saying in the log file : an other process had access to the db !

my db is 50GB big and 90 users are working on it. Could that be a source of problem ?

here is my .bat command to plan the backup :
HotCopy.exe source="xxxxxxx" destination="xxxxxxx" servername=xxxxx user=xxxxx password=xxxxx osauthentication=no dbtest=minimum cc=no nettype=tcp description="Manual Navision backup" email="xxxxxxx" >H:\HotCopy\blablabla.txt

when manually started it says : testing keys ...

and crash 2 hours later while generating the up-quoted log file.

do someone have an idea ....except switching in SQL server !

thks

Gael

Proferp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Proferp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 8:34am
There are solution for Navision Backup, called Navierra Backup http://www.navierra.com the price is 320EUR - fully functional 30-day trial is available on mibuso or their site.
ipractice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ipractice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2008 at 4:33pm
contact iPractice LLC at www.ipracticellc.com and develop a custom backup utility at a very low cost
ipracticellc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic