Microsoft Dynamics Job Openings

Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics SL (Solomon) > SL - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

error -2147165949

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brienprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: error -2147165949
    Posted: August 09 2007 at 1:49pm
Hi,

I've recently inherited an sql 2005 database and solomon 6.5.

When I try to connect to the Database Maintenance from my solomon client installed on my workstation I get: "Error -2147165949:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Objects (SMO)."

If I rdp to the server, I can run the dbase maintenance no problem, but I figure that's because I'm 'local' to the server at that point.

Any idea as to what I've got set up wrong? I need to be able to have certain users connect to the dbase maintenance from their workstations.

Thanks in advance,
Brien
Sponsored Links

Rohtash Kapoor View Drop Down
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rohtash Kapoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 2:30pm
Can you login to Solomon from that workstation?

What username you are using to connect to database from database maintenance? Are you using sa?
brienprime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brienprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 3:05pm
I haven't tried to logging to solomon proper. I use the sa when trying to run the database maintenance.

It all works great from the server, just not my workstation on the domain.

Thanks for your time,
Brien

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rohtash Kapoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 3:09pm
Can you try login to Solomon from that workstation and see what happens?
sblair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sblair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 3:59pm

Has there been an answer to this?

We're testing an upgrade from Windows 2000 server to 2003 server R2 and from SQL 2000 to 2005. The db is in 80 compatibility and can be logged into from Management Studio. Trying to run database maintenance from the 2003 server produces this error.

I can connect with database maintenance and the sa login using an XP box but not the server.

Thank you,
Sylvia
sblair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sblair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 12:53pm
Solution found from another web site by our System Admin. He applied the solution which resolved the issue:

<Error: -2147165949

Description: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]To connect to this server you must use SQL Server Management Studio or SQL Server Management Objects (SMO).

This error occurs in some old custom application code we have. The function in question uses SQLDMO (Microsoft SQLDMO Object Library - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqldmo.dll). This is obviously the SQL Server 2000 (80) version of the file. (2000.085.2004.00). Distributed Management Objects OLE DLL for SQL Enterprise Manager.

It works fine when connecting to 2000 servers but not 2005.

I installed the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components" from "Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - April 2006" on the client machine and this resolved the issue. Specifically i installed the "SQL Distributed Management Objects (SQL-DMO) feature and disabled all other features. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DF0BA5AA-B4BD-4705-AA0A-B477BA72A9CB&displaylang=en

Cheers

Tim>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rohtash Kapoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 12:59pm
Thanks for sharing the solution. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic