Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics SL (Solomon) > SL - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Delete Physical Inventory Detail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delete Physical Inventory Detail
    Posted: October 16 2007 at 9:21am
I am trying to delete data from the INTran table using the Inventory module. I have gone in to IN Setup and set the proper retention periods but when I go to "Delete Physical Inventory Detail" The retention period that shows up is only one month even though in IN Setup I have everything set to two years? Has anyone run into this? Any ideas?

WE are running the following setup...
Dynamics SL 6.5
SQL Server 2005
Windows 2003 SP2

Thanks!!!!!
Sponsored Links

LBarber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBarber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:15pm
Hello,
Delete Physical Inventory Detail is only going to delete history related to the physical inventory process.  It's not going to delete intran records the way Delete AP Detail removes history from Aptran table, for example.  Many modules have a 'Delete Detail' screen, but inventory really doesn't have one.

That said, I tried what you did.  I went to Inventory Setup, Physical Cycle Tab, and set the "periods to retain physical inventory detail" to 24.  When I went to the Delete Physical Inventory detail screen, it did correctly reflect 24 periods.  I am using version 6.5.

Laura
Laura Barber
karlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:33pm
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm glad your system is working correctly, I will have to see why both my test environment and production environment are working incorrectly. One other question, do you know how to properly delete records from the INTran table. Our db is currently 78 GB in size and INTran takes up the majority of that space.
LBarber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBarber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 12:37pm
The Inventory Integrity process can retire and archive transactions, which moves them from INtran table to INArchtran.

Laura Barber
karlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 1:49pm
Thanks again, I am kind of a newbie when it comes to solomon then can I just delete them using SQL code or do I need to run another process? Thanks so much for your help.
LBarber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBarber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 1:51pm
No, I would never delete them using SQL!  I'd back up and run the Inventory Integrity process to retire and then archive the retired transactions.  Reviewing the information in the Help on these processes before you start is recommended.
Laura Barber
karlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 2:59pm
Thanks for the help!
Tony123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 2:50am
Hi, I'm trying to archive/delete the INTRAN table using IN Integrity Check, but still can't work.
I have set the IN Setup retention period to 3, year retention to 1 and year archive to 1. Our system has been running Solomon since 2007.
Gail J-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gail J-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2009 at 9:30am
Delete detail is (amazingly) part of the GL closing process.     Take a look at screen 01.560 but be careful.    Removing intran detail (it runs the delete NOT archive) means that the transaction history in the inventory status inquiry screen no longer display the data.

In current versions, the archival capability seems to have been abandoned (I can't find it anywhere anymore).

Best regards,

Gail J-N
Best regards,

Gail J-N
Tony123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 12:11am
I'm using Dynamics SL 6.5, there is no option for delete detail in inventory module on screen 01.560.00
Gail J-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gail J-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2009 at 6:51am
It's the closing screen in General Ledger - 01.560 (not 10.560).
Best regards,

Gail J-N
Tony123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2009 at 11:32pm
Yes, I have already in the Closing Screen (01.560.00) in the General Ledger module. There are options to delete detail for General Ledger, Account Payable, Purchasing, Account Receivable, Cash Manager, and Payroll. But there is no delete detail option just for Inventory.
Gail J-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gail J-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 7:27am
I'm so sorry - I never noticed it isn't there in V7.0!   You are quite correct - the "delete detail" flag doesn't exist for Inventory.     Actually, I'm not sure when it disappeared.    There used to be a screen to delete inventory detail in earlier versions so I'd be interested to know when it was removed!  (historical curiosity).

I suspect that users who run any costing method other than standard cost would run into problems with inventory integrity checks if detail is deleted for items with cost layers that are still in inventory.    So it appears they've just disabled the function and users are on their own for a delete detail option.

We've never run into it issues deleting detail because we run standard costing and so there are no costing layers (yay!) .  Our solution is to simply use a custom process where we archive our intran records into another database, and then delete the original data from our application database via SQL.   We also have built views that enable us to join our production application database with the archive database so that we can query historical detail if necessary.

Sorry to send you down the wrong path.

Best regards,

Gail J-N
Best regards,

Gail J-N
Tony123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2009 at 9:38pm

Thank you anyway Gail for your comment. Because it's already taken a considerable long time to release a process, for example to release a purchase transaction could take until 10 minutes!. Now I am forced to delete the INTRAN using the other way. I plan to use the stored procedure "Delete_INTRAN". I hope there won't be any problem.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Tony

Gail J-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gail J-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 6:42am
By any chance are you on V7.0 FP1 and have registered currency manager (even if you're not using it)?    We recently identified a bug where posting of certain transactions was excruciatingly slow.   (15 minutes to write 3 very small GL batches).    They kept sending us modified stored procs on GL posting and PO posting until it was working.   We also had to drop some custom indexes.    I've asked if they wrote up a hot fix on it.

Best regards,

Gail J-N
Gail J-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gail J-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:16am
PS   We have 6.3 million records (currently) in INTran and it has little impact on the speed of inventory posting or PO posting.
Best regards,

Gail J-N
Tony123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2009 at 1:17am
I'm still using Dynamics SL 6.5. I also think that the long time process is not caused by the number of  INTRAN records. I believe the cause is the GLTRAN number of records. I'm surely will delete the GLTRAN records. But the printing of Inventory Trial Balance report has already taken such a long time (around 10 minutes). That is the reason why I want to delete the INTRAN records. Although I have an alternative way to speed up the printing of Inventory Trial Balance report, but I'm still not sure it is OK or not, that is by deleting the pre-process (1060200) in the report control maintenance of inventory trial balance report (10630).
Gail J-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gail J-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 5:56am

Somehow, my posting didn't make it up here so I'll answer this again.    Sorry for the delay.

You are correct!    The Delete Detail posting optoin has disappeared from all of the 01.560 screen, the Inventory Integrity check screen, and the separate screen that used to exist that Deleted Intran detail.

I asked Microsoft about it yesterday and the response I got is that if you delete INTran detail, then the Integrity Check functions to rebuild history, balances, etc. do not work correctly.     Deleting detail is esp. problematic for all of the various cost methods that carry costing layers (i.e. all of them except standard costing).

In our company, we delete detail because we run Standard Cost  for all items, don't have item cost layers, and never rebuild history.    We are very careful to make sure that our Itemhist.Begbal and Item2his.BegQty are updated every year along with our annual physical inventory, and we only ever rebuild a single inventory item - never the whole database.    So essentially, we're not running the Inventory Integrity check functions.     And we don't really delete the detail - we archive it to a separate database and keep it.   It's visible in views that join the live and archive database for query purposes.

We have 6.3 million Intran record and don't really find that it creates any performance problems except in generating the inventory trial balance report (which we only really run by item & on an exception basis).  

Best regards,

Gail J-N
Best regards,

Gail J-N
Gail J-N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gail J-N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2009 at 6:00am
PS the pre-process on reports almost always determines which records are selected in the report.   

One thing we do is copy the Itemsite table to XItemsite_MonthEnd at the end of each month, adding a PerPost for the month we do it.    It runs at 1:00 a.m. on the 1st of the month, just before closing which occurs at 3:30 a.m. on the first of each month.    We don't allow posting to inventory in a prior month.    We then reconcile our inventory balances from the month-end itemsite.totcost buckets.     Just a thought.

Best regards,

Gail J-N
Tony123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 4:28am

OK Gail, thank you very much indeed.

Regards,

Tony

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic