Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - Installation and Administration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Effects of Deleting Users?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Effects of Deleting Users?
    Posted: September 30 2010 at 10:17am

I am doing a security cleanup of our MS GP version 10.x instance and would like to remove/delete a bunch of users who are no longer employees here or whose job function no longer requires them to have GP access.

I have had a couple comments from people who have told me that deleting GP users would potentially reverse any transactions those users had previously made. I feel their advice is probably inaccurate! A well designed application should by no means undo previously committed transactions simply by removing a user who is no longer employed or whose job function no longer requires them to have access! That is absurd!

In the MS GP "Security Planning" guide there is a small blurb in the beginning recommending not to delete users for "Reporting Purposes" yet later on in chapter 7 they give detailed instructions on deleting users so the documentation is kind of ambiguous on this point!

Now I do know that GP has the potential to log 65 different 'system events' and associate those events to the users who performed the transactions or actions that created the log events. So I realize that if you delete a user from GP then assuming that you are logging many of these 65 different events then your event log may no longer be able to associate an event to a GP user.

As for our specific GP installation it looks like the original deployment was configured to only log 2 of the 65 possible event types so I am assuming if I were to delete users then the only possible ramification would be that I would lose the ability to associate those 2 event log types to the original users whose activity created them. This would not be a big deal at all and certainly does not justify keeping the users in the system once they no longer require access for their job duties.

So if anyone on this forum knows *definitively* the ramifications of deleting GP users I would definitely appreciate your feedback! I really find it hard to believe that deleting a user would have any effect on previously committed transactions!

Thx in advance for your comments!

Brig
Sponsored Links

daoudm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daoudm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 2:54am

Deleting user will never effect existing transactions, the only side effect for this that it will no longer appear in the lookups when you tries to generate a report that uses the “Users” as a filter.

Regards,
Mohammad R. Daoud [MVP]
+962 - 79 - 999 65 85
mohdaoud@gmail.com
http://mohdaoud.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic