Microsoft Dynamics Forums Homepage

Forum Home Forum Home > Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) > GP - General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PDF documents in Dynamics GP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MicrosoftDynamicsForums.com Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PDF documents in Dynamics GP
    Posted: November 23 2006 at 1:09am
Dynamics includes functionality that allows you to creat a PDF document from any report if you have Adobe Acrobat installed. Great - but for a 70 user site in the 3rd world the costs of Acrobat are prohibitive! Furthermore, Microsoft is including PDF creation functionality in Office 12. (Acrobat costs are almost the same as an Office licence).

Here are my questions:

Can GP integrate any other PDF write software to the same level as Acrobat. (I have used CutePDF and the like to print reports to a PDF creator but this is not a great solution for end users). I would like to have the level of integration that will allow me to have the "create PDF" button active and will allow me to email statements.

Seeing that Microsoft has created its own PDF writer for Office 12, are therer plans for this to be integrated into GP?

Can anyone shed some light on where this is heading...
Have fun!
John
Sponsored Links

Joseph A Nader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joseph A Nader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 1:31am
I will try to share some thoughts with you concerning the topic.
I thought that adobe reader can be downloaded from the internet, even though I am not sure that it solves the PDF printing issue. " Currently I am using Acrobat 7.0 professional...( nice tool )...

Furthermore, if you wish to print GP reports, you can use the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, by changing the print setup. Now concerning the integration of Microsoft own pdf, it might appear Dynamics GP 10.

Take Care
Joseph Abou Nader, PMP

MCT
,MCTS,MCBMSS,MCSA
Mun Kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mun Kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 4:44pm
In FRx 6.7, it does come with a pdf driver, with the pdf driver install, you may print all the GP report into PDF format.
rjavins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjavins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 9:27pm
For the 'send PDF' to be available from the Screen print window, the pdf writer would need to be an installed application -  like Adobe.

If you just wish to print to a pdf - the you can use software such as PDF Factory which installs only as a printer (print driver).  The only difference is that you would change your printer to PDF Factory and then print the Great Plains report to 'printer' then the PDF printer would launch its own application.  In most instances these PDF printers (like PDF Factory) allow emailing capablities after the pdf has been created.
JohndeKock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohndeKock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2006 at 11:24pm
Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. We are already doing this. The issue is that it is clumsy. As Rebecca mentioned, you have to change the printer, 'print' and supply a file name, open the file and then mail it. When you have the Adobe acrobat writer app installed, Dynamics GP takes charge. No changing printers etc. The first display you see is the PDF document. I have considered using Crystal or SQL Reporting Serives, but then you sit with the problem of launching from within Dynamics.
Have fun!
John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic